Assignment 4: Project Proposal
Due: Monday 4/11 (11:59pm)
In this assignment, you will tell us what you want to do for your final project. A few guidelines:
- The project can focus on any topic you want, as long as it is related to themes of this course (MapReduce, large-data, cloud computing, etc.). The project must either involve the Google/IBM cluster or equivalent (AWS, Azure, or Bespin). We will discuss some project ideas in class.
- You can work in groups of up to three, but you can also work by yourself if you wish. We would encourage a group final project.
- The amount of effort devoted to this project should be proportional to the number of people in the team. We would expect a level of effort comparable to two assignments per person (since you have approximately a month to complete the project).
- Start early on the project. Remember, there's also a final exam for the course and there is typically a lot going on at the end of the semester. Poor time management is not an excuse for a low quality project.
- Have incremental milestones that you can reach and present. A good project will have a very easy first step and get progressively harder as more stuff is added. That way, if you run out of time, you'll still have something concrete.
This assignment is due by 11:59pm, Monday 4/11. Please send us (Jordan and Yingying) an email with "[CCC Assignment 4]" as the subject. We only need one email per group. In the body of the email, provide the following information:
- The group members.
- Description of your project. We are expecting 1-2 pages (attachment is okay, but please send PDF) that describe the idea. Include: the data you wish to work on, the approach, and the expected results (something concrete that can be evaluated).
- A timeline of the project.